Friday, November 9, 2018

Floor Score and . . .

Yesterday I got the dining room wallpapered and it was no easy task.  The wallpaper was "wafer" thin and very delicate to work with.  The finish scraped off if I wasn't careful.  Because the walls in the dining room were so rough I elected to paste the wallpaper to poster board and then apply it to the walls.  I'll never install windows before papering again!  It was a nightmare to get the paper around the windows and trim, but somehow I managed to get it done without it looking too much like a horrible mess.



I also purchased a carpet for the dining room.  I'm thinking of tea staining it to give a more "old world" look.  What do you think?


Today I was able to get all the hardwood floors cut and varnished with two coats of satin varnish.  They sure are pretty!  I'll permanently install them with double sided tape once I get the chandeliers installed.




On the second floor staircase I added a carpet stair runner . . .





All that's left in the interior is crown molding and baseboards.  Oh, and I have to replace one of the sconces in the second floor hall.  For some reason the one I had there doesn't want to co-operate and work properly so I removed it and ordered a new one because I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it.  All the other lights are working though!  And I still have to figure out how to install the fireplace in the study . . .



5 comments:

  1. Papering around those windows must have been a tricky operation, but you did an excellent job of it! I like the tea (or coffee) staining idea for the rug. If you could deepen the red that way it would be perfect! I can't believe that you've come so far with this project so quickly! It's looking so lovely, and I am eager to see the photos as you begin to furnish and decorate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi! Yes, I think I'm going to go ahead with tea staining the rug for the dining room. I didn't think of it, but yes, it will deepen the red somewhat more in keeping with the wallpaper. Excellent!! Won't be long now . . . I've started on the trim and have all the third floor crown molding and baseboard cut and stained. That's tomorrow's project!

      Hugs,
      Teresa

      Delete
  2. Hello Teresa Marie,
    You have done a lot of work since your last post. The wallpaper in the dining room is beautiful. I really love it. The floors are fantastic and I really like the staircase runner. Keep up the great work.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Giac! Yes, I'm happy I decided on different paper for the dining room. It's so much richer and makes my heart happy!

      Hugs,
      Teresa

      Delete
  3. I LOVE your style!!!
    Each room is luscious and your results of papering around the windows turned out Pretty Darn Good too, so Bravo on what you've already accomplished and how it's coming together! :D

    Also, I have tried tea staining the same type of carpet as yours and it was not as easy as I thought it should be.
    Recently, I watched a youtube tutorial which used INSTANT COFFEE which appeared to give a deeper colour than either the regular tea/ coffee I'd used, so you may wish to keep that tip in mind.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment or message. I love hearing your thoughts! To keep up to date with the goings on at Pennethorne Manor, please consider following. Thank you!