Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Building a Bird Stand (Tutorial)

Today I built a bird stand for my lovely miniature cockatoo from Hannah Hawkins on Etsy.  Her work is amazing!  I hope the stand does the bird justice!

I started with a 1/4 inch dowel.  I cut the pole at 3 inches and the cross piece at 1.5 inches.  I drilled a hole in the middle of the cross piece and a hole in the middle of one end of the pole.



I used one piece from a miniature plug and applied glue to each end and then inserted it into each hole.


Since I didn't have any wooden craft squares or circles, I used the end of a paint stir stick.  I cut it at 1.5 inches and sanded the corners to round them.  Then I drilled a hole big enough for the pole to stick into it.





Once everything was glued together and solid, I stained the whole stand with Dark Walnut and applied one coat of varnish.  Then I glued my mini-Bijou to the stand.




The inspiration for the mini-version - my precious girl "Bijou".  We rescued her from a bird sanctuary about 15 years ago.  She was there one day short of a year.  Unfortunately, she still bears the scars of her ordeal and still chews on her feathers from time to time.

 


2 comments:

  1. Hello Teresa Marie,
    Terrific job on the bird stand. It looks beautiful and very well made.
    Bijou is just gorgeous!
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Giac! Bijou is beautiful, but she can be a handful! LOL!

      Hugs,
      Teresa

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment or message. I love hearing your thoughts! To keep up to date with the goings on at Pennethorne Manor, please consider following. Thank you!