Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Ceiling Fiasco

I started today with high hopes of getting the second half of the ceiling done and installed.  All went well until I tried to install it.  The skinny board I used on one end to fill in the space between the first half and second half of the ceiling was so tight I had to use a hammer to get it in, but then it broke.  Heavy sigh . . . 





So I took off the skinny board and installed the crown molding right onto the room divider (which was the original end wall of the house).  That worked out beautifully.  Until . . . I noticed that the first part of the ceiling was in backwards!  You've got to be kidding me!@*#*  That meant my coffers didn't line up across the room.  Blast!!  So I manhandled it off the ceiling.  Needless to say it didn't come off without a fight or without damaging the ceiling paper.


I managed to piece together bits which you can't tell from below once the ceiling was re-installed.  I really didn't want to order another sheet of this expensive paper, so I just went with it.  If I was paying for me, I'd fire me . . .

Then I had to install a middle beam over the beam in the center to cover the room divider.  I used half inch balsa wood which worked out well.



All in all the ceiling looks pretty great.  I'm happy with it despite the fiasco getting it all installed and lined up.  It's still a bit wonky, but if you don't look too closely and I didn't tell you, you wouldn't notice.  Right?

I also got the dining room chandelier installed.  More on that in another post . . .

6 comments:

  1. Oh Teresa I feel your pain!!! To overcome so much to get the look we dream of, to invest so much time, effort and materials, just to have something go wrong at the finish line can be disheartening! But you took those lemons and made lemon meringue! The ceiling looks amazing, and you really will be the only one who knows or sees the evidence of the near disaster and heroic save! Can't wait to see the chandelier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words of encouragement Jodi! I appreciate it! I had a peek this morning and the ceiling doesn't look half bad. Things really do look better in the morning! LOL!

      Hugs,
      Teresa

      Delete
  2. WOW, WOW, WOW!!! Your coffered ceiling not only looks Great but has a story behind it too! ;D
    I think that this will make it feel even MORE SPECIAL in retrospect than if it had all gone smoothly- WELL DONE Teresa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Elizabeth! Yes, you're right . . . I really appreciate that ceiling now!

      Hugs,
      Teresa

      Delete
  3. Hello Teresa Marie,
    It was worth all the frustration because it looks amazing. I love the finish on the wood beams and the addition of the wallpaper in each square is such a nice touch. This is a really fantastic ceiling. Terrific work my friend.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does look pretty now, and no, I would never have noticed. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment or message. I love hearing your thoughts! To keep up to date with the goings on at Pennethorne Manor, please consider following. Thank you!