Thursday, January 10, 2019

The Residents of Pennethorne Manor

I don't know about you, but I have to know who is going to live in my house before I can proceed with building or decorating.  As the story starts to write itself in my mind, I knew I wanted a Victorian manor built in the early 1800s, but home to the late Victorian/early Edwardian period.  I set about looking for an Edwardian doll and found the perfect one by Lisa Johnson Richards.




Her face and Edwardian attire were perfect and when I saw her, I knew she was the one.  She is dressed in one of my favorite colors (brown) and has a beautiful hat and fur stole.  Lady Colette Pennethorne is an American heiress who married the quite handsome and worldly Lord Pennethorne, a British aristocrat who is well titled and brings his own wealth to America to live in the manor house that Lady Pennethorne inherited from a wealthy aunt (on her mother's side).  She is very beautiful, has a pleasing personality, writes short stories, and is very adept at playing the pianoforte (Scarletti is a favorite).


Lord Pennethorne was purchased from a doll maker from Spain at the Chicago Miniature Show several years ago (I wish I had gotten her name).  When I saw him, my heart skipped a beat.  He was handsome, had on a brown suit and tie (I love it when couples matchy match!) which sealed the deal.  Nathaniel Pennethorne is a well titled British aristocrat who was finally freed from his overbearing stepfather and ridiculous mother upon turning the age of majority at twenty-one and inheriting his father's estate.  He left his mother to live out her years on the estate he grew up on, and embarked on a year long world tour.  Upon his return he took up ownership and the running of his father's successful trading company.  He met the future Lady Pennethorne at a picnic at the estate of a friend, was enchanted with her beauty whereupon he set about to win her heart.  She was only seventeen when they met and as she was very independent, it took him several years of letters and visits across the pond to finally win her heart . . . and her hand.


Reginald Jeeves came with Lord Pennethorne when he made the move to America.  He grew up with Lord Pennethorne, being a son of the estate's gardener, and worked his way through the hierarchy of a British aristocratic household, eventually becoming LP's valet and trusted confidante.  He has taken over the running of Pennethorne Manor, much to Lady Pennethorne's delight, as she would much rather spend her time enjoying her many pursuits.






And so the story goes . . .  Next to be hired to work at the manor are a cook and a house maid.

What's your process?

3 comments:

  1. What a terrific story! They certainly make a lovely couple! :D
    I've enjoyed reading about the marriage of British and American ( reminds me of the Churchill's) along with their faithful servants.
    Now that you are embarked on a nursery, you are probably going to require a nanny too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth! Yes, I need a nanny! LOL! I think most of the "servants" are going to live in the small village about three miles from the estate as there's no room for them in the "inn". Ha ha!

      Hugs,
      Teresa

      Delete
  2. Hello Teresa Marie,
    I love to hear about the owners. It really brings the project to life. They are great dolls.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment or message. I love hearing your thoughts! To keep up to date with the goings on at Pennethorne Manor, please consider following. Thank you!