Wednesday, January 23, 2019

House of Miniatures

The interior of the manor is finished.  Let me say that again . . . the interior is finished!  Save for a few pieces of crown molding in the 2nd floor hall and adding trim around the parlor bay window.  I saw how Mike Guidry had done it in his Beacon Hill and decided I liked it.  So I'm going to do it.

Since the interior is complete I decided to pull out my House of Miniatures kits yesterday.  I've been procrastinating on getting these done because I thought they'd be difficult.  To my delight and surprise, they weren't difficult at all!  I guess because a couple of the boxes weren't sealed, I was worried that pieces were missing, but my worry was misplaced.  All the pieces were there.  Big sigh of relief . . .

I purchased all Chippendale furniture (story to follow in another post).  I started with the dining room table.  It went together without too much effort.  I just couldn't figure out how to place the blocks on the side aprons, but once I figured that out, I was done.  And I had to re-glue the tops to the under carriage and place them under some heavy books because the tops had lifted off.  Disaster averted.

Table ends and table leaf.


Underneath shows the sliding mechanism.
Call me crazy, but this picture makes me laugh hysterically.  It looks like a flattened chicken.  Disclaimer:  No chickens were harmed in the making of this table.

Next I built the chairs.  I was going to just do a pair and call it a night, but I got addicted.  I have that type of personality . . .

I used push pins to hold the back in place over the alignment diagram.




Oh my gosh I love miniature furniture!  Isn't it the cutest?  And I have to say that building my own comes with a great sense of satisfaction and accomplishment.

Next I decided to "just" open up the breakfront box and check to make sure all the pieces were there.  Well, one thing led to another and . . .


Today I'm going to finish building the breakfront and then I'll seal, stain and varnish everything, along with making the cushions for the chairs.  And just because I like to play . . .




4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on being so close to finished on the shell! It's such a great feeling and sense of accomplishment!
    Furniture building, especially from good kits with a great success rate, really is addicting! Great job! The breakfront is a special piece and I am excited to see it finished and in it's new home!
    Thanks for sharing the link to Mike's blog! It will be fun to get to know his projects and style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi! I hope you'll enjoy Mike's blog. His dollhouse is gorgeous!

      Delete
  2. Hello Teresa Marie,
    Terrific job assembling the kits. I cannot wait to see them all finished.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Giac! The furniture has been sealed and stained. I hope to get the varnish on today as well as the seat cushions. The dining room will be furnished soon!

      Hugs,
      Teresa

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment or message. I love hearing your thoughts! To keep up to date with the goings on at Pennethorne Manor, please consider following. Thank you!