Monday, October 15, 2018

Slow and Steady Progress

My mom has been visiting from Canada so I've been sneaking in an hour here or there to work on the manor.  After the weekend with my friend Tracy, who did most of the electrical for me, I managed to install a few more lights and replaced the simple bedroom light with a three armed chandelier.

Electrical wires soldered to tape wire and labelled . . .



Chandelier in bedroom . . .


I decided to add wainscoting in the bathroom and used skinny sticks to achieve the effect.  I stained them with the Dark Walnut I've been using throughout the manor.  I papered the top portion of the walls and used a pattern with dark green tiles I found on the internet for the flooring.  After a coat of super gloss Mod Podge, the floors turned out pretty nice.



I also tackled the ceilings.  Most of the ceilings got papered with a textured anaglypta paper in white.  I painted the main and second floor halls with a terra cotta paint I had on hand which matches a color in the wallpaper.  The breakfast room got treated to a beautiful paper with a medallion which I had to cut to size.  With trepidation I cut a pattern with poster board and then applied the cut pieces of the medallion paper to it, after which I applied a coat of super gloss Mod Podge.  It turned out pretty nice!





I also got the bathroom windows painted and installed along with the dormer windows on the third floor.  The dormer windows were not easy to install as the directions and the pieces did not match.  I had to rely on my ol' noggin and past building experience to figure out a way to install them.  They turned out not too badly, but I'm still trying to figure out how to apply the side trim.  Cue jeopardy music . . .



Yesterday I was able to cut and install the dark walnut flooring on the third floor and in the bedroom.  I'm going to apply a coat of varnish to them before they're permanently installed.  All that's left in these rooms is crown molding and baseboard trim.

My beautiful chandeliers arrived from J. Getzan Miniatures, but I'll save those for another post.  I also want to wait until most of the work is finished on the manor before I install them.  They're so delicate I'd hate to injure one of them!




6 comments:

  1. The rooms are looking so lovely with their papers, ceilings, flooring and lighting! The decor is perfectly at home in the Beacon Hill, and I can't wait to see those gorgeous chandeliers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi! The chandeliers are so lovely, I can't wait to get them installed!

      Hugs,
      Teresa

      Delete
  2. I love the wallpaper patterns and colors. Such beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment Brandy! I finally settled on some wallpaper for the dining room and all the flooring has come, so that's the room I'll be working on next.

      Hugs,
      Teresa

      Delete
  3. Soooooo Warm and Rich! I love your decorating style- bold and yet still restrained❤️

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Elizabeth! I really can't take credit . . . the house tells me what it wants! LOL!

      Hugs,
      Teresa

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment or message. I love hearing your thoughts! To keep up to date with the goings on at Pennethorne Manor, please consider following. Thank you!