Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Catching Up

Hello everyone!  Are you still there?  (There seems to be a problem with my computer . . . I can't see you!).  Ha!  I've been busy around the big house and farm.  We spent a good deal of time getting ready for winter and I caught the "clean and decorate my big house" bug.  There had been several projects that have been sadly neglected and I was in the autumn mood of fixing and cleaning.  We got several items marked off the list with still more pending and of course, more added on.

We decided to take some time off around Christmas to relax and enjoy our favorite pursuits.  Mine of course, is working on my dollhouse.  I picked up where I left off working on the ceiling.  It took several hours of brain power, but I finally came up with a plan!


I decided to use 1/2 inch square poplar hobby wood to make the coffers.  This is being made in two pieces because there is that "support" beam in the middle of the room because of the addition.  I'm not sure how I'm going to handle that yet, but I'm working it out (killing off brain cells in the process).


The first section went together fairly easily.  I measured and spaced the 1/2 inch "coffers" evenly.  Then came the hard part.  Figuring out how to measure and cut the crown molding.  Once I got that figured out, I sailed along . . . at least until I ran out of crown molding.  I ordered more yesterday which should be here in about a week.  I hope I don't forget my "method" for cutting it!


It's turning out pretty well and I'm happy with it.  Once it's complete, I'll stain it with the Dark Walnut stain I've used in the rest of the house.  I had an idea last night just before nodding off.  I'll use the same wallpaper that's in the room for the holes in the coffered ceiling by gluing a piece to the side that goes against the ceiling.  I think it will look really nice and tie in with the rest of the room.  That's the plan anyway.


I still have some crown molding and baseboards to finish up with and then most of the interior is done.  I ordered cute little door handles for the doors and will be installing them once the finish work is done.  Still lots to do on the outside . . . staining shingles and applying (I'll call in my contractor hubby!), painting and applying the siding and more trim painting.  It's coming along!

I couldn't help myself last night . . . I turned on all the lights and moved in some furniture.  I can't wait to play!

4 comments:

  1. a Merry After Christmas to you Teresa! :D
    You may have taken some time off but you have obviously spent your time Very Well indeed!
    The coffered ceiling is a mini Masterpiece already, and your cuts and the detail work is Superb!
    I can just imagine you sitting in front of the house with the lights on and itching to move it, and I don't blame you for playing with some of the furniture in it, in fact- I think You Should! :D

    Happy 2019 and I'm already eagerly awaiting your next Beacon Hill instalment

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Elizabeth! I managed to get the second half of the ceiling done yesterday, but not without much effort! Cutting those little cross pieces was a workout! LOL!

      Hugs,
      Teresa

      Delete
  2. Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous! Your patience is going to pay dividends in enjoyment for a very, very long time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi! Yep, once it's done . . . it's done! LOL!

      Hugs,
      Teresa

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment or message. I love hearing your thoughts! To keep up to date with the goings on at Pennethorne Manor, please consider following. Thank you!