Sunday, February 10, 2019

What's Happening . . . blah, blah, blah

Okay, so maybe I'm enjoying Hotel Transylvania a little too much . . . it's awesome!

While I love the building and decorating of a dollhouse, my favorite part is furnishing, adding drapes and all the special little touches that bring it to life.  This post is about some of the special touches I'm starting to incorporate into the manor . . . and a few other things "on the table".

I purchased some miniature books from Little THINGS of Interest on Etsy for the bookcase I just built and finished.  I purchased just about enough to fill the bookcase and will add some knickknacks as time goes on.  Books are one of my favorite things, and I hope to fill the study/library with plenty of them!




What really makes a dollhouse sing is all the layers - books, pillows, rugs, drapes, and knickknacks.  There are several people who do this extremely well, Elizabeth from Studio E Miniatures, Jodi from My Miniature Madness, and Linda from Une Petite Folie, are among them.

I found these gorgeous pillows from Mondina Dollhouse on Etsy.  They are so delicate and well made and look wonderful poised on the furniture in the parlor and one on the chair in the hall.  Makes one want to cuddle in with a good book!  The rug is from Anabella Miniatures on Etsy.





Dear hubby spent most of yesterday afternoon shingling one side of the mansard roof.  His attention to detail astonishes me.  I trained him well.  LOL!  He'll be working on another section today.



I also got some corbels painted and installed them under the eaves.  I just love adding more and more detail to the manor.  It's like decorating a cake!  I ordered more corbels for the porch and for under the eaves on the bay windows.  I'll be adding more details like a Juliet balcony and railings around the balcony over the porch.  More was more in the Victorian era.

And the manor wouldn't be complete without a conservatory.  I ordered one and am having to do a fair bit of bashing to install it where I want it.  I'm realizing that I love reworking and figuring out how to make something work.  It doesn't always, but it sure is satisfying when it does.

Any guesses where it will go?





It looks a little odd from this angle, but you'll see why it's built like this once it's installed.  The section on the right I had to build from scratch as I eliminated a set of French doors and a section of window.  All that's left is paint, flooring, installing the acrylic glass windows and deciding on whether I want to install a chandelier (of course the answer is yes!).

Still on the list . . . siding!

4 comments:

  1. Hello Teresa Marie,
    What great purchases. I am so excited to see the study completed. The books look great, the pillows are terrific and I like that rug. The conservatory is a beautiful kit and will work perfectly with your amazing house.
    Big hug
    Giac
    N.B. Nice job on those shingles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Giac! The conservatory is going to be an interesting room as it's also going to be the little girl's play room. Fun!

      Hugs,
      Teresa

      Delete
  2. I had to make a ton of books for my library and tried several routes to make them cheaply, quickly but effectively. I did come to a solution. if you are curious just go to my blog and then on the right hand column under 'Labels' click on 'Library'. You project looks to be coming along very nicely. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marilyn! Had a wonderful time exploring your blog and thanks for the book tutorial! I'll be putting it to good use!

      Hugs,
      Teresa

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment or message. I love hearing your thoughts! To keep up to date with the goings on at Pennethorne Manor, please consider following. Thank you!