Thursday, August 31, 2023

First comes Destruction . . .

I returned home from Canada yesterday after having a wonderful trip visiting family and friends, and attending my High School Reunion.  I'm glad to be home though!

After catching up on some much needed sleep this morning, I set about building the new addition, and demolishing the side where the addition is going to go.  This was no easy feat!  I'm a pretty good builder and it took all my muscles to pry the bay window off, but it finally yielded.  This window is going to go on the side of the new addition.

Brian is going to cut a hole in the side wall where the window will go, and he'll need to cut a hole that goes from the current breakfast room into the new breakfast room.  Good thing I thought about that just now, I'll have to go and mark the other side wall for him to cut.

I've ordered new windows (don't like the windows the addition came with) that will resemble the windows I already have on the house.  I need to check my stash to see if I have flooring, and if not that needs to be ordered along with a spiral staircase.

I've also ordered folding shelf brackets because we need to add another foot to the side of the house to accommodate the addition.  We'll add a few extra inches for landscaping.

Good thing the Pennethorne's are visiting the old aunt in England.  They'd be aghast at how the crew demolished the side of their house (not to mention the ramshackle the manor is in because of it!).

Tonight the addition will be glued together after Brian cuts those holes and it will be onward and upward!

Side of the manor before destruction.  Here I've just removed the siding.

Siding has been removed along with the window.  I'm sorry to lose this window, but out it goes!

Removing siding and getting ready to remove the bay window.

Prying off the bathroom window.

Last look at the interior of the breakfast room before demolition.

Ripping off the brick foundation.

The windows are out after a lot of muscle power!

The window came out without too much damage.  There will be a few fix-ups though.

More progress tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. You are so Brave! Tearing apart the work you put so much into.... I am sure it will be worth it when you are done.... but I am not good at "undoing" my constructions! Nonetheless, I eagerly await seeing the progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a bit nerve-racking when I was prying everything off, but it's all good now!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment or message. I love hearing your thoughts! To keep up to date with the goings on at Pennethorne Manor, please consider following. Thank you!