Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Rounding the Porch

Well, I ran out of siding, so I'm moving on to finishing other tasks on the exterior of the manor.  I just have the middle section left to side, so I feel like I'm making some headway.

The foam board I ordered yesterday came today (wow! that was fast!) so I was able to work on the rounded porch extension.  I taped the porch posts in to get an idea of how it would look.  They are different than the ones that came with the kit, but I think it adds another dimension.  After all, the Victorians were notorious for adding more and more trim!  I will add a railing between each of the posts on the round porch, leaving the openings on the main porch . . . maybe.

I'm also planning out the balcony alcove and have the pieces I need, except for the Victorian fret work, so it may be awhile before moving forward on this addition.  Since getting back into working on my dollhouse, I've broke the bank!

Fret work for the balcony alcove.

Here's what I've done so far . . .

I had to rip off the corbels (of course I glued them on SO WELL that I had to break them to get them off).


I cut the foam board to size and glued it in position - top and bottom.




Then I cut the posts to size and taped them in position.  I still have to side and paint this section of the manor, so I don't want anything to be permanent just yet.





What do you think?  Does it look okay?  It needs to be painted and prettied up of course, but does it look okay?

The porch isn't perfectly round because I was working within the space between the existing porch and the trim at the end of the house on this side.  I think it still gives me the effect I was looking for.  I'll install the railings and lots of decorative trim as soon as this section of siding is done.  I think I'll throw a party when the siding is wrapped up!  Or at least have a very large glass of wine . . .

This section of the manor was looking rather stark, so I added a climbing rose.  Now, I either need a pot or I need a decorative piece of fret work.  What do you think?

Before . . .


After . . .



9 comments:

  1. Hi Teresa
    I see where your going with this and I think that the rounded porch section helps to visually balance the right side with the conservatory on the far left, especially if you tie it in with the existing porch. And yes your rose definitely requires a pot. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth! You're right! I never thought about that balance, but it definitely will look much better.

      Delete
  2. What a great idea. I think the footprint and shape look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Teresa that fret work is going to look amazing for the balcony! And I also like where you are heading with the rounded porch end. It may be difficult to get everything to fit, and should you have a moment of doubting your desire to put in all that work and expense, may I suggest something like this to help you further along:

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-The-Incredible-Kit-by-Carlsons-GAZEBO-1981-Wood-Kit-Make-Manger-Lamp-More/372633628836?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

    This would still require some editing, but not as much frustration as starting from scratch. Not that I doubt you for a moment! I know you can do it beautifully, but do you want to? Whatever you decide you have my support!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodi! Thank you so much for the link to this listing! I've put in an offer, so we'll see what happens. Wouldn't you know it? The dimensions are perfect for that space! Fingers crossed!

      Delete
    2. Oh awesome! I knew that little voice was telling me to save that listing for someone!!! I am glad it was you and I know it will work beautifully to make this porch dream come true!

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, I love the round porch! I can just see a potted palm and a wicker chair in that spot. I've compared the front of your house with pictures on Pinterest and my only concern would be that the rounded porch is now the thing sticking out furthest to the front? Does that make the house's footprint lopsided? But maybe it's just the angle of the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megan! If you look at the pictures on this post https://beaconhilldollhouse.blogspot.com/2020/05/bathroom-redo.html you'll see that the rounded porch idea has been nixed in favor of a gazebo (which was my first choice, but didn't know how to pull it off until Jodi sent me a link to this gazebo). The manor is now balanced between the conservatory on the left and the gazebo on the right. Thank you for your input!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment or message. I love hearing your thoughts! To keep up to date with the goings on at Pennethorne Manor, please consider following. Thank you!