Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Dollhouse Lighting

I decided to spend some time figuring out the lighting for the manor.  It is a job I have been putting off because there are so many components to it which I find quite daunting.  First of all, you have to figure out where you want lights.  Then you have to figure out what lights you want.  Then you have to find the best deals.  Lighting a dollhouse is a costly venture . . . you can spend a small fortune.  Good thing I have a part time job!


Then you have to figure out tape wire or round wire.  Round wire - check!  But you also need to have some tape wire - check!  Then you need to figure out what transformer you need depending on the amount of lights (not fixtures - lights).  Then you need brad nails, eyelets, a pilot hole punch, a test probe and a junction splice . . . and then you need a good friend who's electrified multiple dollhouses - check, check and check!

I ordered some lights today, but will wait for hubby to decide on the transformer and other paraphernalia - like how much tape wire do I really need???

4 comments:

  1. For me lighting in a dollhouse is still such a mystery :-). I see it and every time I admire the result!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a mystery Millicent!! I've used tape wire before with disappointing results. This time I'm using round wire with the help of a friend. There are some good tutorials out there. Here's one if you should ever wish to give it a try. http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/dollhouse_news/FEB2009/dollhouse-lighting-kits.html

      Hugs,
      Teresa

      Delete
  2. Hello Teresa Marie,
    I am glad you are going the round wire route. I have used tape wire in the past and I do not think I will use it ever again. I look forward to seeing the light fixtures you choose. Working lights really make a project come to life.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've posted about the three chandeliers from Getzan Miniatures. I have to have them! LOL! The others I hope have a Victorian feel. So looking forward to this part of the project! As long as everything works! LOL!

      Hugs,
      Teresa

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment or message. I love hearing your thoughts! To keep up to date with the goings on at Pennethorne Manor, please consider following. Thank you!