Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Easy Does It

Well I'm nearing the end of the major part of the build on the manor.  Next up is trim, siding, and painting on the exterior.  On the interior, I'm set to do the wiring and lighting with a friend of mine near the end of the month.  All the lights have been ordered except for the chandeliers.  They may have to wait while I save my pennies.



I spent some time yesterday inserting 1/4 inch foam board on walls where there are doors and purchased windows.  Since the dollhouse walls are only 1/8 inch thick and the doors are 3/8 I had to make up the difference so that the door molding will sit right on the door.  The foam board will be glued in place once the wiring is done.  After that I can finish the wallpapering.

Speaking of wallpapering, the breakfast room has taken on a life of its own.  As I was working on getting the doors in, it told me it wanted to be yellow.  Yellow is not one of my favorite colors, but who am I to argue when a room tells me what it wants to be?  I found some pretty yellow paper with a lovely ceiling medallion to match.  The only problem is the medallion is larger than my small room, so I'll be cutting it to fit hoping the cuts won't be too noticeable.  I also found some sweet little yellow brocade chairs and a painting with spots of yellow in it.  This room is coming together all on its own!


I'm making progress on the main hall flooring, but I ran out of border so Brian has to print more pages for me.  I should be able to finish that up in an hour or so.  It took me awhile to figure out how to cut the angles (and there are plenty of them!) but once I figured it out it took no time at all to put it together.  I'll finish it up with a coat or two of super gloss Mod Podge.


The basement has been in limbo since I'm waiting on the door for between the kitchen and the butler's pantry.  I also don't want to wallpaper these rooms until the wiring is in for the lighting.  I did get the staircase stained though.  I also had to add a little block of wood at the bottom of the newel post at the bottom of the staircase because it was just a little short.  Sometimes these little annoyances can work out well because I like the added detail!  I'm still bothered by that staircase to nowhere, so I might create a faux opening . . .


And speaking of annoyances . . . the turet at the top of the tower is supposed to be held in place by 8 little tabs, none of which line up.  I trimmed until I was blue in the face and still didn't get it to line up.  Also that turet sits pretty precariously on that tower so I came up with another solution.  I cut (or rather Brian cut because I couldn't for the life of me get the crown molding to line up at the corners properly) four pieces of 1 1/2 inch crown molding to make a square under the turet, glued them in place and slipped the turet over the tower walls.  It's perfect!  No more worrying about that turet falling on my head.




Today I start on the windows.  If you don't hear from me for a while, send the paramedics.  I'm likely buried under heaps of sanding dust!

4 comments:

  1. The facade is looking so interesting with the new additions and the details you've been able to add so far. I love your solution for crown molding on the tower, and it's so nice to have someone on standby that can help when our skills aren't quite ready yet. There is nothing like the excitement and anticipation of planning, buying and building our dreams, and I can hear that in every post! It will be so much fun when you finally get the wiring completed and can just keep moving forward as inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jodi! I have to keep telling myself to slow down and enjoy the process. I'm always in such a hurry to "get it done". Taking it slow gives me time to think about what I really want this house to be. My dream house in miniature!

      Hugs,
      Teresa

      Delete
  2. HI Teresa!
    I think that a yellow breakfast room will give the appearance of Sunshine flooding into the space and feels very English country- a style I adore. :D
    Love the tile in the entry and the MOLLY SUE cupboard below stairs. Everything is looking Great including your woodwork- Most Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments Elizabeth! I love upscale English country style. Although seeing your rooms makes me want to tea stain everything! LOL! Aren't Molly Sue's cupboards wonderful? I saw this one and had to have it for the manor kitchen.

      Hugs,
      Teresa

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment or message. I love hearing your thoughts! To keep up to date with the goings on at Pennethorne Manor, please consider following. Thank you!