Thursday, September 6, 2018

Porch Musings

It took me almost three days to get the porch finished.  From laminating the posts, sanding, painting and fitting together it was a lesson in patience.  I think the porch took longer to build than the whole house to date!  Well, okay, maybe I exaggerate a little . . . but not much.


I decided to paint the posts and trim before putting it together, because it would have been quite a chore to do it after everything was together.  I'm so glad I did it this way.  It also gave me the opportunity to think about how to use the colors chosen for the house.  So far, I'm liking the combination of cream, garnet and gold.  I'm anxious now to get the siding on so I can paint the body of the house.



I think the base of the posts needs a little decoration, but I'm not sure what.  I might wait until I get the bannisters and trim up before I decide if it does in fact need anything.

I decided to use interior latex paint instead of craft paint so that I wouldn't have to varnish everything.  I was able to get sample sizes of the trim colors in a satin latex and a quart of the main house color also in a satin latex.  I wanted some shine, but not too much.



I'm very happy with the porch and I added a little surprise on the porch ceiling.  I did use craft paints here and created a custom blue mixing two colors together.  I'm happy with the results!  Do you know why porch ceilings (especially in the south) are painted blue?  Find out here.  I'm inspired to paint my own real house porch ceiling blue!


Today, the plan is to stain all the doors I have (some are still on order) and clear space for the mundane task of sanding, painting and gluing trim and windows.  Oh joy.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Teresa Marie,
    The porch is looking fabulous. I love the garnet color.
    The information about the blue porch ceiling was fun to read.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Giac! I found it interesting that there is so much history behind a blue porch ceiling. Who knew? LOL!

      Hugs,
      Teresa

      Delete
  2. The porch looks wonderful, and I know that getting the pieces to look this good takes a great deal of skill and dedication! Good luck with all of the windows and doors, they are a lot of work too, but such a satisfying feeling to have accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi! I know you know! LOL!

      Hugs,
      Teresa

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment or message. I love hearing your thoughts! To keep up to date with the goings on at Pennethorne Manor, please consider following. Thank you!