Sunday, September 2, 2018

Oh My Aching Muscles!

After a very long two days the breakfast room/conservatory and bath/dining room additions are finally put together and installed.  And not without some heavy handed maneuvering.  I had glued the breakfast room together only to discover that the overhang didn't allow for the two sections of window to come together at the right angles.  As I was extremely frustrated at this point, Brian took over taking the breakfast room apart and cutting the new piece.  He's such a team player!!

After more trimming adjustments, everything finally went together and I was able to glue it, clamp it using masking tape, and leave it set up.  I also installed the window panels that came with the kit so everything is finally complete on this side.  Well, except for siding, painting and the like.



The dining room side came together fairly well, except that I didn't allow for the one and a half inch extra space needed on the new panel I made.  Instead of tearing everything apart (of course I glued it together before I realized this!!) I opted to cut a piece to size and glue it in.  It will be covered with wallpaper and siding, so no one will be the wiser (except for you and me!  Ha!).


I'm well pleased with how the rooms have come together and how everything seems to be esthetically balanced.  I put together the bow windows on the breakfast room addition and at the front of the house.  The foundation pieces went together fine on the parlor window, but I had to do some finagling on the breakfast room window as I had added a half inch border around the outside of the room.  Rather than have the whole piece angled, I opted to cut it and place the two inside pieces parallel to the underside of the room.  It looks much better and I'm very pleased with how it turned out.



Today I'll be adding the roof.  I've been dreading this part but the manor must have a roof and after what I went through to add the additions, it should be a piece of cake . . . she says rather optimistically.

6 comments:

  1. Hello Teresa Marie,
    It might have been a challenge, but the end result is well worth it. The house retains it original character and the extra space for the rooms will make such a huge difference to this amazing kit. Hang in there.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giac, thank you for your kind words! I shall persevere! LOL! I'm coming to the end of the most difficult parts. Soon I will be able to play with my miniatures!

      Hugs,
      Teresa

      Delete
  2. This looks like quite a project, adding on to the house. I am not that brave. The house will be amazing. I am honored that you have me listed in your list of inspiration; Thank you. I do try. However, the link does not work. Try this : http://annsdollhousedreams.blogspot.com
    I have started the San Franciscan by Dura Craft. No kit bashing. I am following directions--or trying to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann! You're doing a marvelous job yourself! Thanks for letting me know the link didn't work . . . I had the right one I just didn't remove the extra "http". It works fine now.

      Hugs,
      Teresa

      Delete
  3. The structure looks great! Once that roof is on, you'll really be able to see your ideas coming to life! So nice to have a handy man around, too! :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi! It does look quite wonderful with that roof on! Yes, gotta love those handy men!

      Hugs,
      Teresa

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment or message. I love hearing your thoughts! To keep up to date with the goings on at Pennethorne Manor, please consider following. Thank you!