Friday, May 8, 2020

Copper Roofs and Gazebo

I finished off the copper roofs and have to say that I'm pretty happy with them.  I cut and painted the siding before putting it around the roofs because I wanted to make sure that no paint got on them.  Brian thinks I should give the copper a green patina, but I kinda like them the way they are.  What do you think?




The gazebo kit came the day before yesterday, and yesterday I spent the afternoon putting it together.  Since I wanted a door I had to finagle it a bit, but I think it turned out pretty good.  I could have bashed it a whole lot more to fit it to the house, but I compromised by extending the porch floor and fitting the gazebo to that.  Precise measuring doesn't come easy to me (I'd much rather have a set of plans in front of me), but despite this handicap, I think it turned out pretty well.  I originally wanted the door to face the front porch, but that last post on the porch was in the way, so I slightly angled it out.  I'll build a set of steps up to the gazebo and this actually gives me an opportunity for some fancy landscaping.

As for the gazebo roof, I think it should be copper, but Brian thinks it should be shingled.  What do you think?  I have to say I'm slightly leaning in his direction, but I don't want him to know that I think he's right just yet!  LOL!

Now that's out of the way and the siding is mostly complete, I'm moving on to the foundation while I wait for the fret work to start on the balcony alcove.

The manor looking well balanced.  Pardon the construction pile in front.

The gazebo was looking a little tipsy before I added the foundation walls.

Here I've added foam board for the foundation.  This will be bricked over.


I stained the door and painted the gazebo this morning.  It looks a little off right now, so you'll have to imagine it with stained cedar shingles and lots of gingerbread trim (on order) painted burgundy.






This is the gingerbread trim I ordered for above the door and for each opening of the gazebo and front porch.


I was thinking of screening in the gazebo, but I can't find any screen miniature enough.  Do you know?  Either that or my other thought is to add glass windows (plexiglass most likely) and calling it the "glass house".  What are your thoughts?  Ideas welcome!

I'd like to take the gazebo upstairs to the manor, but my cockatoo, Bijou, absolutely hates the thing.  She's been screaming on and off all day.  She's quiet now, so I don't want to disturb her as I have to walk past her cage.  I'll take it up later tonight when she's tucked in for the night.

4 comments:

  1. I would keep the copper shiny - your house is pristine and whoever has kept it like that would also clean the copper surely? I would mesh the gazebo as you already have a glasshouse - just to be used as a cool outside place to sit free of bugs in the evening to watch the garden grow or the world go by depending on where your house is set. Google 'mesh for model making' - I got quite a few hits. I haven't used it so can't help directly but many do use it so it it around somewhere. marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the input! I'll check out the mesh - thanks for the info!

      Delete
  2. This is looking wonderful! Love the copper roofs as they are and would worry that trying to patina might be a mistake. Practice on a separate piece of card and then lie it on the current roof to see how you like it. The gazebo door is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment or message. I love hearing your thoughts! To keep up to date with the goings on at Pennethorne Manor, please consider following. Thank you!