Thursday, May 28, 2020

Balcony Alcove Enfin Termine'

Don't you just love French?  It sounds so romantic and charming and has a certain je ne sais quoi.  I feel like Marie-Antoinette . . . minus the head cutting off thing.  Anyway . . .

Today is a cloudy, rainy day and I'm enjoying it immensely.  It's been hot and dry for, gosh, I don't know how long, but the rain is a welcome relief.  And it gives me a chance to stay indoors and work on the manor!

I finally finished the balcony alcove.  It turned out beautifully.  I re-did a few things and fixed those wonky posts.  Instead of using stir sticks, I purchased some 1/4 inch half round and cut it to length.  This matches the full round posts on the rest of the balcony and looks so much more cohesive.

Before . . .






With that finished I moved on to the front porch.  The gazebo is almost finished.  I had to stain a few more shingles for Brian, so I'm hoping he'll be able to finish the roof tonight.  Fingers crossed!  I also put together a couple of railings and am waiting for the glue to dry before I paint and install them.

I found this beautiful wicker set on Etsy and Brian said to buy it.  I didn't waste any time!  If you're searching for unique wicker items, check out this shop.  Her work is amazing.  I can't wait to decorate the gazebo!





All that's left on the exterior is the brick foundation and most likely a few touch ups or fix ups here and there.  Next on my list is to wire a few plugs and lights which I'll do before adding the brick.

The new wallpaper for the rearrangement of rooms should be here on Monday and I'm excited to start the redecoration.  I've ordered drapes and I'm hoping to get the rooms done before they arrive.  It's an exciting time at the manor!

6 comments:

  1. Oh Teresa I am so glad that you decided to remake the balcony railing because you encourage all of us not to settle until we have done our best! It looks marvelous and I love that is is a repeat of the same materials. The wicker set is wonderful and I love to hear about a supportive husband encouraging you to have what you want for this dreamy little home! Give him a pat on the back from me! Can't wait to see the wallpaper and curtains! I have butterflies just thinking about how amazing it will all be!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi! I'm glad I bit the bullet and re-did the railing too. I just couldn't live with the eyesore from before! I'm looking forward to decorating the gazebo with the new wicker set. I hope it turns out how I have it pictured in my mind's eye! Hugs!!

      Delete
  2. The balconies really ground the house beautifully and now we can see how necessary it was. Tres bien

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Beaucoup (it's Marilyn, right?). It's amazing how changing one thing can set the stage for continuing on in a happy frame of mind! LOL!

      Delete
  3. I have to say that your ongoing home improvement of this Manor house have been precisely what the doctor's ordered! The cohesive balcony spindles have tied both levels together beautifully!
    I can't wait to see it all again, once your gazebo's installed.
    Keep it coming! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth! I'm hoping the gazebo will be finished soon. I might have to take over from my contractor as he seems to think my project isn't as important as taking care of the farm! LOL!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment or message. I love hearing your thoughts! To keep up to date with the goings on at Pennethorne Manor, please consider following. Thank you!