Monday, June 1, 2020

Mish-Mash

I spent yesterday afternoon working on the wiring for the manor.  It was a beautiful day outside and I should have been out there working around the farm, but when the mood strikes you've got to take advantage of it.

I moved the porch light and balcony lights to a new run on a 10v transformer.  To this I added the conservatory chandelier, parlor fireplace, and gazebo light.  The conservatory chandelier and the gazebo light are actually run to a plug so that I can have the option of unplugging them when I want to create a darker night mood.  In the process, I pulled out some hair and spoke a few choice words as I was trying to run the wire through little holes to hide it under the foundation.  In the end though, it all works beautifully.

Parlor fireplace.

I also decided to place my newel post lamp on the bottom of the staircase in the front entry as this is where it would have been placed in Victorian times.  I read somewhere that the Victorians placed these lamps to signify that their mortgage had been paid off, but I can't find it back.  I have found articles though that say this is a fable.  I prefer to think of it as one of those quirky Victorian truths.  Here's an interesting article on newel post lamps.

I'm not able to get a really good picture of the lamp, but it is very similar to this one . . .


A little secret surprise you really have to look for.
With that done I moved everything back into the manor and sat looking at it for awhile whilst eating a piece of cherry pie and ice cream Brian brought up for me.  I could get used to this!

The little dog I ordered for Rosemary finally arrived and now the task is to find a name for it.  I left it up to Brian as he seems to come up with the perfect names.  It's a King Charles Cavalier and is made by Karl Blindheim, as are all the cats and dogs of the manor.  I fell in love with his work quite a number of years ago at the Chicago International Miniature Show, where I purchased a Siamese cat (see the parlor photos above).



Speaking of dogs, here's my little Penny . . . we got her from the tech school at MATC where my friend worked.  She texted me, I said yes, and the rest is history!


And here are a couple of my other dogs, Casey and Oliver.  We have six dogs in total, one being a livestock guardian dog.

Please excuse the mess . . . Brian took over my guest room as an office
while he works from home and the dogs love to be with him.
Brian had to go to Menards yesterday for a few things and asked if I needed anything.  I jokingly said, "yes, I need a miniature crow bar".  Ask and ye shall receive!


Today I'm going to work on wallpapering and flooring for Rosemary's new bedroom and the ensuite bathroom.  This will likely take up most of the afternoon.  I fear more hair pulling is in my future . . .

6 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you for relocating the exterior lighting wires and the newel post fixture! I always have to ask forgiveness for my language post lighting job (even though I only think the words and don't usually say them), and I imagine at this point that Jesus just smiles at me and shakes His head. 😊
    I hope you can get a photo of the newel post light because I really wanna see!!!
    It finally dawned on me as I was looking at the enchanting parlor photo... The interior and finishes of this house remind me so much of Hurst Castle! You have captured the homey yet opulent mood so perfectly!
    Husbands delivering pie and ice cream to your studio??? Yes please!!!
    And doggies? You just can't say no when a rescue crosses your path, either huh? We only have three, though, for now. They are my life and I don't want to think about not having them in it!
    Love the crow bars and I bet they will be just the thing for some future job!
    Best of luck and success with the wallpaper! I am so excited for the upcoming progress post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jodi! I'm pretty sure Jesus shakes his head at me daily! LOL! I'll try to get a picture of the newel post lamp with my camera phone because my big camera won't fit. Hurst Castle? I'm off to investigate! I can never say no to a dog in need . . . that's how I ended up with 6! LOL! I've already used the crow bar to take off some molding around the bathroom windows. Worked like a charm!

      Delete
  2. The manor is absolutely beautiful! I tend to stick to modern miniatures but you have me thinking I have been missing out on such opulent interiors - so much fun to look at. I'm certain they're just as much fun to put together and bring that era to life as perfectly as you have. Thanks for sharing this world with us! - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marilyn for your kind words! I do love the Victorian/Edwardian eras, but if I'm honest I'd like to do something in the French or Shabby Chic style some day. It is much more lighter and airier. Although I did promise my husband this would be my last dollhouse. HA HA!

      Delete
  3. I have to say Teresa that eating cherry pie and ice cream whilst enjoying your handiwork, is a great way to spend the time, and reward yourself ESPECIALLY after struggling with dollhouse wiring.
    I don't believe that there is a miniaturist out there who hasn't muttered words to themselves which they regret later but such is the nature of the beast when it comes to this MOST FRUSTRATING aspect of an otherwise gratifying hobby!
    Your Victorian balustrade light fixture was worth every minute expended on it, and I can only imagine trying to reach inside the manor blind and then manipulating the tiny wires by touch must have been very trying to your patience but what a difference it has made to the staircase and to the entry hall-Quite Wonderful!!!!
    The I have one of Karl's English spaniels in the living room of my Green Dolphin Street cottage and so I know just how Marvellous his work is, and IF I may be so bold as to suggest a name for your dog it would be JIP; Dora's spaniel from the novel David Copperfield.
    Your new little Penny is a dear and has obviously made herself right at home- as if she's always been yours.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you for your kind words Elizabeth! There was a moment when I was going to chuck the newel post lamp, but it was fleeting and I'm so pleased with it. It looks really cool at night! I'm very happy I went with round wire for this house. It's much more stable and at least I didn't have to fight with brad nails! What a good idea for a name . . . I'll check it out. Brian named her Abigail, but I think Jip is a really cute name!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment or message. I love hearing your thoughts! To keep up to date with the goings on at Pennethorne Manor, please consider following. Thank you!