Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Working on the Basement

I know I said I was going to take the summer off, but the basement has been calling my name!  Well, not really, but I am inspired and excited to start working on it.

Yesterday I laid everything out and created my plan.  It's good to have a plan, but it's also good to be flexible, of which I'm not . . . oooo my aching muscles!  Seriously though, I made up a plan and to the best of my ability (and pocket book) I will stick to the plan.  I'm always open though for a better idea or to take hubby's suggestions, as long as I think they're better than mine, and most of the time they are . . . hmphhh!

Anyway, this is the plan . . .

I closed in where the door to the cook's bedroom (previously the sewing/laundry room) used to be and moved it closer to the front in alignment with the other doors on this level (it kind of creates a hallway effect).  The ovens will go on this wall.  On the back wall will be, from right to left, a base cabinet, sink, tall work table, and more base cabinets.  Also on this back wall will be two windows.  On the wall to the right is the ice box and pantry shelves.  That wood piece in the middle of the room is so I could visualize where the work tables will go.


Ovens to the right, base cabinet, sink, work table.  In front will be two work tables.

On the left of the work table will be more base cabinets, the ice box and pantry shelves.

The servants will eat in the kitchen.  I put this table and chairs here to visualize, but Brian says they're too fancy for a kitchen, so he's approved a shopping trip (via Etsy or ebay - LOL!).


There will be two chandeliers over the work tables and sconces on the wall next to the doors.


Chandeliers for above the work tables.
The plan for the space next to the kitchen has changed from the butler's pantry to a stairwell that houses an office for Reginauld to keep track of expenses and for the cook to look over recipes and prepare her lists.  The staircase used to be in the kitchen on the left, but I felt it took up too much space.  And with the addition of a sub-basement, I'll have more room to create the other rooms on that level.

I had papered all the ceilings yesterday, so I was able to move on to papering the walls today.  I can't finish a few walls because I'll be installing the sconces next to the doors, but I got some done.  I had to add some foam board on the right of this room because the door is thicker than the walls and this makes for a nice clean transition and will make the door trim neater.

Stairwell/Office layout.


I added the crown molding and papered two walls.
The other wall will be papered once the sconce is installed next to the door to the wine cellar.

Ready for base boards and door trim.

I'm really excited about this light fixture I found on Etsy.  It's perfect for this room!


The staircase will fit snug up to the ceiling and I'll create a faux opening in the ceiling.

Most everything is on order and as the mail is moving ever so s-l-o-w-l-y, work will continue as items arrive.  And tomorrow, a surprise I got from Craig's List.  I am well pleased!  LOL!

2 comments:

  1. Your inspiration and excitement for the basement is contagious! Have fun and I hope you can keep progressing as you wait for things to arrive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi! I'm having way too much fun according to my bank account! LOL!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment or message. I love hearing your thoughts! To keep up to date with the goings on at Pennethorne Manor, please consider following. Thank you!