Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Brick Pillars = Grand Entrance

I decided to hold off on the German schmear on the foundation as I'm just not sure I'm fully invested.  I'll put it on the back burner for now.  Instead I decided to build some brick pillars for the front steps as I wanted something more substantial and grand here.

I cut four 3/16 inch pieces of foam board 2 3/4 inches high and glued them together to act as the post.  Then I glued bricks onto that.  At the top I cut a 1 inch square of foam board and glued it on and then laid brick on top.  I grouted everything and then gave it a wash with burnt umber mixed with water.  I forgot to add some aged bricks, so I'll go back and do that.  I'm toying with the idea of adding lamp post lights on top of the pillars or I could just put some lush Boston ferns on top.  I've done a search for miniature lamp post lights and am not coming up with much, so the decision may be made for me.




Last evening I played with the house for awhile doing some odds and ends.  I had to shorten a few wires on some of the lamps as they were too long and stuck out everywhere.  I also had to re-install the valances in the boudoir and parlor.  They just won't stay up.  I've tried everything short of hot glue, which I really don't want to do.  Any suggestions?

I also attached a new window box made by Judy of Judy's Designs Store on Etsy.  She really does an incredible job.  They are lush and look beautiful!


And then I set up some new scenes with the inhabitants.  Brian likes it when he looks in and sees everyone in different rooms.  He complains when it's the same old thing.  LOL!

Lord and Lady Pennethorne are off to High Tea at the prestigious
Waldorf Astoria where they will meet with some acquaintances.
Aoife is preparing the boudoir for Lady Pennethorne's return.
Of course, there will be chocolate on the pillow.

Thaddeus and Merlin are up to no good.  As cats often are at night.

The Pennethornes have returned from their day trip to New York
and are discussing the events of the evening at the Waldorf Astoria.
Rosemary is taking out her night clothes from her armoire.
Reginauld is preparing to take Duke and Phineas for their nightly constitutional.
An evening constitutional is a mild walk or exercise taken to benefit one's health.  In previous centuries, regal men and women would take constitutionals after their supper to help with digestion and to pontificate about the world around them.
I'm still looking for a railing for the widow's walk.  I saw one on another dollhouse that I liked, but I can't find it anywhere for sale.  The rails have little balls on them.  Like this . . .


Any idea where I can find something like this?  If I can't find it premade, maybe I'll have to make my own.  Oh yay!  Another project!

Well, it's late and I'd better be off to bed . . . good night . . .



6 comments:

  1. I think this might be the railing you are looking for. The manor is absolutely beautiful.
    http://woodvictoriandollhouse.com/dollhouse-porch-spandrel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carrie! And YES, that is exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you!!

      Delete
  2. The brick pillars are a lovely touch as is the new flower window box! Glad Carrie had the link for you, too! Love the lights on scenes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Marilyn! It is very pretty at night with all the lights on. I could sit up all night looking at it . . . and thinking of things to do or change! LOL!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment or message. I love hearing your thoughts! To keep up to date with the goings on at Pennethorne Manor, please consider following. Thank you!