Saturday, June 13, 2020

Bricks and Glass

The bricks arrived yesterday to finish the front door and conservatory steps, so of course I decided to cut plexiglass for the conservatory!  LOL!  You gotta strike when the mood hits.

I tried cutting the angles for the roof to accommodate the trim on the house, but I failed miserably, so I've handed this job over to my hubby.  He's infinitely more patient than I am and much better at fiddling with things to make them just right.  That's why he's the shingler and I'm the builder!  I had to order more plexiglass so the roof will be finished when that arrives.

I was able to cut the straight lines for the windows though, so that job is finished.  The glass for the doors came with the conservatory so it was just a matter of installing them.  I used E600 glue which was a mistake.  I had little webs and blots of glue everywhere!  I was able to clean them up, but note to self, stick with the white glue that dries clear and doesn't make webs!




Today I got to work on the front door and conservatory stoops.  I bricked them in, aged them and applied grout.  I decided I didn't like the look of the "new" grout so I washed it with watered down burnt umber paint.  I liked it much better and decided to do the same treatment on the chimney.  It tones down the grout just enough to make it look old.  I had to put the paint brush down and walk away because I was enjoying myself so much, I thought I might do the same to the whole house!






I'm getting close to the finish line on this build.  Of course there will always be something to do and lots more fun things to add to the rooms, but the major work is behind me and it's smooth sailing from here.  Except of course, there is that basement looming in the back of my mind . . .

4 comments:

  1. Wow great house and conservatory and those steps really nice I must make some for Bramasole...
    have a nice day,
    groetjes van Marijke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marijke! I made them out of foam board and then layed the brick over top. Easy peasy! I love your Bramasole' . . . you captured the essence beautifully!

      Delete
  2. Nice job, well done you. You can get glue especially made for 'windows' in model building so no strings and stuff you can't clean off and totally clear and doesn't go yellow over time - look at some model building sites. I use Glue and Glaze from Deluxe glues but not sure if you can get it over the pond?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marilyn! Thank you for the information . . . I'll look into it!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment or message. I love hearing your thoughts! To keep up to date with the goings on at Pennethorne Manor, please consider following. Thank you!