Sunday, May 17, 2020

Gazebo, Alcove and Balcony

Today is a windy, rainy day . . . perfect for working on the manor!  Yesterday we did a lot of work around the farm and I was able to get my front flower beds in order.  I'm paying for it today, I ache all over!

Brian is busy shingling the gazebo roof.  I stained them on Friday using Dark Walnut, but for some reason it's not the same color as the rest of the roof of the manor.  I must have used a different stain.  I noticed this too when I stained the gazebo door.  Hmmm . . . anyway, I'm leaving it.  At least the door and shingles match!





The balcony alcove has worked out beautifully and I'm very happy with it . . . mostly.  My measurements were off a bit so the posts aren't quite spaced evenly.  For now I'm going to live with it.  I may decide later to fix it, but I'm hoping I'll just forget about it!






With the alcove finished, I was able to move on to putting together the banister for the rest of the balcony.









Also with the alcove finished, I was able to finish the siding on the tower.  I still have a lot of painting to do, but I forgot to clean out my brushes and well, they're trashed!  Note to self, clean brushes before moving on to something else!  I was going to go to town for brushes, but Brian is worried about CoVid and it's raining heavily, so I ordered brushes from Amazon (what did we do before the big "A"?) and they'll be here tomorrow.

I finally figured out how to electrify the conservatory and gazebo!  It's such a simple solution I don't know why I didn't think of it before!  I'm going to install outlets on the main manor and then I can just wire the chandeliers with plugs and plug them in.  This solves the problem of what to do when I have to move the manor.  I ordered outlets which should be here in a week or so.

So for now, I'm going to make some popcorn and snuggle in with a movie.

6 comments:

  1. What wonderful progress photos! The balcony is such a great feature, as is the deck beside. Hooray for husbands who shingle! When your Beacon Hill comes up in Google searches, it is going to stimulate the purchase of many, many kits!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi! I hope it inspires others and if so, I think I should have a commission to support my habit! LOL!

      Delete
  2. Oh Boy! You sure don't let the grass grow under your feet once you get your mojo back, Teresa!
    The additional trims make such a difference to the facade and how wonderful to have those extra pair of husband hands to help with the boring old shingling! ;D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to have my mojo back Elizabeth! LOL! Thank you and yes, it's nice to have help with the piddly jobs. My husband has the patience of a saint!

      Delete
  3. did you find some screening for your gazebo yet...looking good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't really been looking too hard, but I think I can use just regular window screening. I looked at the holes and they're pretty small, so I might just be able to get away with it. That's the next step once the shingling is done.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment or message. I love hearing your thoughts! To keep up to date with the goings on at Pennethorne Manor, please consider following. Thank you!