Monday, May 18, 2020

Fashionable Flowers

It's no wonder at this time of year my mind has turned to flowers and puttering in the garden.  The Victorians were fabulous at creating flower arrangements that spoke their feelings to the recipient.  A red rose meant "I love you", but a yellow rose stood for jealousy and infidelity.  A white rose symbolized purity, while the rosebud suggested young and innocent love, and a moss rose spoke of voluptuous love.  Other examples of flower symbolism included the acacia as symbolizing concealed or hidden love, begonia as a warning to beware something, pink carnations as motherly love, daffodils as unrequited love, gardenias as a secret, passionate love, and purple hyacinths as a symbol of repentance or apology.

Since no respectable manor would be without fresh flowers to delight the senses, I will be adding many flowers and plants to each room of the manor.  Flower styles changed through the second empire period (when the manor was built), moving through the Victorian age and into the Edwardian era, with its loose, free-flowing styles, I plan on incorporating each of these styles throughout the manor.

Flowers
Frederick Bazille ~1868

Woman with Chrysanthemums
Edgar Degas ~ 1865

Preparing the Flower Arrangement
Edouard Debat-Ponsan ~ 1886
The Flower Seller
Victor Gabriel Gilbert

"No ornament is so appropriate for the
dinner table or mantel as a vase of flowers."
Arrangement of Flowers - Godey's Lady's Book
vol. 92 (June 1876) 563


Women Arranging Flowers
Albert Chevallier Taylar ~ 1906

The End of Dinner
Grun Jules Alexander ~ 1913

I found this picture of the Downton Abbey dining room and it reminded me so much of the dining room in Pennethorne Manor.  Wouldn't it be fun to re-create this scene?


Now I'm off to take inventory of what I have, which isn't much.  I have a feeling there will be a lot of flower kits ordered over the next several months from the likes of sdk miniatures

And if you need flower inspiration visit Jodi's Storybook Cottage  . . . a flower lover's dream.

4 comments:

  1. Oh how wonderful! Flower making is tedious but addicting! You must try everything at least once and it leads you down a deep but very rewarding rabbit hole!!! Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, making flowers is tedious work, but well worth the effort . . . in the end! LOL! I made a beautiful arrangement at the Tom Bishop show last year and hope to do another in August, providing CoVid has subsided by then. And of course, I get so much inspiration from you Jodi!

      Delete
  2. Hi Teresa!
    Just read your post and think that your plans for making flowers and plants for your manor is a stellar idea and what joy it will bring! The idea for a Grand Dining room table such as Downton's would suit it to a "T".
    I just visited a site for an online Miniature show which currently has Helen David plant and flower kits on for half-price which you may wish to have a peek at.
    https://aminiminiatureshow.weebly.com/?fbclid=IwAR2u47jugLYnWHXRdD2JvLEAsSLhcnKhO2B4FEQpNTaolwj5jwbWsd4wY9I

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth! Love the pun! LOL! I visited the site and while I didn't order any flower kits, I did order some tiny geodes for the show case in the parlor. I didn't know what to fill it with, but upon seeing these I just knew it had to be them! Thanks again!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment or message. I love hearing your thoughts! To keep up to date with the goings on at Pennethorne Manor, please consider following. Thank you!