Sunday, July 5, 2020

Cook's Room and Flooring

Yesterday I got the cook's bedroom finished and I'm hoping she'll be happy with it.  She's a simple woman and requested soft, subtle colors so I chose this soft blue rose pattern.  Now to make up the bed, which I've never done before, so it will be an interesting project.

I glued the wallpaper in using matte Mod Podge.  Then I stained the crown molding and baseboards with Minwax in Golden Oak and installed them once they were dry.  Then I constructed the flooring and installed it.  There will be a window at the end wall in each room, but they're on a slow boat from China!





I also printed, cut and pasted the flooring for the sub-basement.  I love this pattern and decided since the servant's quarters in the sub-basement would have been more utilitarian, I decided to tile the whole floor except for the butler's pantry which will be hardwood.

I purchased the "French Victorian floor tiles" from the Pixel Market on Etsy.  It's a beautiful pattern and the colors are gorgeous.  It was easy to print them and cut them out with my utility knife.  Then I used spray adhesive to adhere it to heavy cardstock.  I cut out the matching border and mitered the corners, using spray adhesive to adhere it to the flooring.  I used matte Mod Podge to protect the paper and also give the tiles a nice glossy glow.

Since I am waiting on wallpaper to finish the other rooms, the flooring is in temporarily.  Once everything else is done, I'll install it permanently.


A view of the long hall in the sub-basement.

I'm waiting on a staircase to add at the back of this stairwell.  Then I can finish the flooring.
The hole in the floor is the stairwell to the basement.

The tile setters did an excellent job on the mitered corners.

A view into Reginauld's bedroom and the bathroom to the right.

The long hall.  There will be a window at the end of the hall.

Aoife's bedroom is at the end of the hall.
With so much work going on in the sub-basement and basement, Reginauld and Aoife decided to have a meeting to discuss the time table and what to write to Lord and Lady Pennethorne in England.

Reginauld and Aoife discussing the events of the day ~ what's been done and what still needs to be done.

Discussing the kitchen layout and admiring the workmanship on the prep tables.



Reginauld and Aoife are hoping the new cook will be comfortable in her bedroom.

Reginauld is quite pleased to have a room of his own.

Aoife is quite excited to have her own room at the manor.
It means she won't have to travel from the village in the middle of the night
if her ladyship should require her services.
Today, I'll be working in the scullery and doing up odds and ends while I'm waiting on supplies.

2 comments:

  1. It is so nice that the servants have been provided with such spacious and lovely rooms! I love the flooring paper pattern and colors! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi! I'm having quite a time restraining myself! LOL! I have to keep reminding myself that servant's quarters were simple and not at all elegant. But at least in this manor, they will be pretty!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment or message. I love hearing your thoughts! To keep up to date with the goings on at Pennethorne Manor, please consider following. Thank you!