Saturday, July 11, 2020

Kitchen Cabinets

I've been moving along in the kitchen and it won't be long before the cook arrives to start cooking in it!  I've built two of the three cabinets that go along the back wall of the kitchen.  I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.  I was worried at first they'd be some flimsy wanna be's, but they're pretty solid and hefty!


I followed a tutorial by Kris at 1 inch minis.  Her directions and pictures were awesome and it didn't take long at all to build them.  The tutorial looked daunting at first, but I followed it step-by-step and before I knew it I had a cabinet!







The cabinets are made out of matte board and after they were built I gave them two coats of Antique White paint and then washed them with Burnt Umber and water to give them an aged appearance.  I cut two pieces of wood the size of the counter tops and stained them with Minwax Golden Oak and two coats of varnish to finish.  I still have to make the handles and attach them.

I also painted and aged the prep tables.  I had stained and varnished the tops previously.


Fairly confident in my ability to build some decent looking cabinets, I'll be moving into the scullery and building a wall of cabinets with two sinks.  Kris provides a tutorial for the sinks as well, so that will be an interesting foray into the unknown!

I'm off to build that third and final cabinet for the kitchen.  I'm also hoping Brian will "bash" my ovens so I can glue them together and paint them . . .

4 comments:

  1. Wow! You did an excellent job on the cabinetry and I truly think they look better than Bespaq! Best of all, they are custom made for this kitchen and look absolutely charming!
    Looks like I have more posts to catch up on - you've been busy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow Jodi! That's quite a compliment! :-} Thank you so much! Yes, I go gang busters until my supplies run out and I have to order more. LOL! I just put in two big orders so I'm hoping that I'll have everything I need to finish the basements. Shipping charges are a killer!

      Delete
  2. IMPRESSIVE!
    MOST IMPRESSIVE!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment or message. I love hearing your thoughts! To keep up to date with the goings on at Pennethorne Manor, please consider following. Thank you!