Sunday, July 12, 2020

In the Kitchen

Well, the major work in the kitchen is done!  I just have one small wall to wallpaper once the sconce I ordered comes in.  All the major pieces are also in and it's just a matter of filling the kitchen with groceries and all the pieces that make up a good working kitchen.  I'm still waiting on Brian to bash up the ovens.  He said he'd do it today . . . fingers crossed!  I'll be hanging some shelving above the bottom cupboards and am looking forward to filling them with copper pots and pans and jelly molds.

If you haven't guessed it by now, I've been using the Downton Abbey kitchen as my inspiration.  I was going to put in those big, beautiful windows, but it was just too much finagling because I have a six inch storage area (for keeping all my dollhouse supplies) behind and trying to get in there to cut out windows would have used up my last straw!  I could have put in a false wall, but that would have eaten up too much kitchen space.  So, I just have to pretend that they're there, but on the other side of the kitchen . . . ; -]


In consultation with Brian (ha ha) he suggested I build a broom closet.  Not exactly what I had in mind when I asked him, but I had about three inches left to fill in and this seemed like a good idea.  Every kitchen needs a broom closet right?  So I built one using my new found skills from Kris's 1 inch minis and set to work.


I'm not happy with the crown molding and will likely replace it.
It didn't turn out too badly, but I'm not happy with my aging on this piece and will likely repaint it and try again.  It came out just a little too dark (see the difference from the cabinet beside it?).

Here is what the finished (almost) kitchen looks like . . .




Next up is cabinetry for the scullery . . .

4 comments:

  1. The broom closet is an excellent suggestion and you did a marvelous job on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi! Yes, hubby is quite pleased with himself and wants me to make sure everyone knows it was his idea! LOL!

      Delete
  2. THIS KITCHEN LOOKS FANTASTIC!!!
    And I don't think that having a window at the top of the wall would work any better than your the window in the kitchen door, which provides the illusion of openness and perspective in this below stairs kitchen and I LOVE the broom closet too, Teresa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth! Yes, once I changed out the door it opened up quite a bit!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment or message. I love hearing your thoughts! To keep up to date with the goings on at Pennethorne Manor, please consider following. Thank you!